Picking Berries and Mushrooms
You can pick healthy delicacies in the forests and on mires of the national park, as you may freely pick berries and edible mushrooms. The amount of berries varies, but every year, pickers get at least some berries. The amount of mushrooms is more difficult to forecast.
- Bilberries lower blood pressure and reduce harms caused by fats.
- Due to their fresh taste, lingonberries have many uses. They also improve digestion.
- In northern Finland, crowberries are sweeter than in southern Finland.
- Bog bilberries are as healthy as bilberries, but they taste milder.
- Cranberries contain a lot of vitamin C and many believe that they provide protection from inflammations.
- Cloudberry is the favourite berry amongst those living in the Kainuu region. Cloudberries are full of vitamins and micronutrients.
If there are no ceps or chantarelles, you will, no doubt, find rufous milkcaps. False morels grow in late spring. In a very warm summer, you may find matsutakes in dry pine forests.